Today I am going to share with you how I made the Rice Krispies Treat Easter Basket. I seem to get my best ideas when I’m laying in bed trying to fall asleep. Shortly after our Easter theme was announced for the challenge I lay in bed brainstorming and BAM! the idea hit me.
It was all sort of a big experiment so I don’t have step-by-step pictures, but I will do the best I can to be descriptive. What you need:
– Empty Ice Cream Bucket with straight sides
– Non stick spray
– Two Batches of the standard Rice Krispies Treat recipe(on the box) I colored one pink and one purple.
– Electric Carving Knife or serrated bread knife. I used a regular bread knife.
– Frosting to use as “glue.” I found a recipe you can use HERE
– Wire Hanger
– Wire Cutters
- Spray the inside of your ice cream container with non-stick spray.
- Using warm Rice Krispies, push the Rice Krispies treats into the bottom and up the side of the container. For stability, you want the walls to be at least 1.5″ thick. The
- Make sure you have things packed down nice and tight.
- After your treats have set up a few minutes, remove your treats onto a sheet of wax paper.
- Repeat steps 2-4 with your second batch and color of Rice Krispies treats. Let set until firm, if they aren’t already.
- Cut off the bottom layer of the basket at 3/4″ with the serrated knife. Do not use very much downward pressure when cutting. You will squish your nice round basket.
- I opted to use the purple Rice Krispies Treats as the bottom layer of my basket.
- From the bottom end where you just cut, continue cutting layers off that are 3/4″ thick. Including the bottom, I had 5 usable layers. The very top layer was not a full 3/4″ thick. Your number of layers may vary depending on the height of your basket.
- Cut both of your colored Rice Krispies Treats baskets in this fashion.
- Take one ring from each color and stack them one on top of the other. The bottom will remain one solid piece, do not cut the bottom layer.
- Cut the stack of 2 rings into 16 equal pieces. I kept cutting the sections in “half.”
- Start laying your basket pieces down alternating colors. I like to lay out the whole layer to make sure everything fits nicely.
- “Glue” down each piece with frosting.
- Repeat steps 10-13 until you have all of your layers complete.
These are the steps to make the basket handle
- Bend a wire hanger to the size and shape you desire for the handle.
- Make a half batch of Rice Krispies Treats in your desired color.
- Press warm Rice Krispies Treats around the wire hanger, leaving an inch on each end free of Rice Krispies Treats.
- Allow our basket handle to set-up.
- When you are ready to assemble, insert the wire ends into the basket.
Tip: A wire hanger was a little difficult to work with. A wire that is more pliable would be easier, but it is doable with a wire hanger.
Here is our close-up shot again. The basket made a perfect little perch for some Rice Krispies Treat chicks. I imagine the big one is named Uncle Harold. He just looks like a Harold to me. 🙂
Thanks to everyone that voted for our team. We really appreciate all the positive comments and feedback we got back. We should be finding out the results today or tomorrow(4/21). I am sure I will let you know if we win.
If you are interested in making a basket and have any questions, please feel free to ask. I will help you out the best I can!