Diaper Bassinet Tutorial

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestEmailYummlyStumbleUpon

It’s been awhile since I have written a tutorial. I just may have forgotten how, but I will give it my best shot! :)
A long time ago I saw a photo of a Diaper Bassinet on Someday Crafts. The original didn’t have a tutorial, but I thought it was such a cute idea that I wanted to give it a try.
Here is what I came up with:

Here is how you can make your own…
Supplies:

• 12 diapers(I used size 3 because I had some in that size)
  • 1-2 large rubber bands
  • An old cereal box or some thin cardboard that you can bend a little
  • Ribbon or jumbo ric rac
  • A burp cloth or baby washcloth. I bought whatever was on the registry.
  • Clear Tape

Step 1. Take a stack of 10 diapers and rubber band them together. The folded end of the diaper is the foot of the bassinet.
Step 2: Cut your thin cardboard into a rectangle 4″ x 7″

Step 3: Cut a strip 3″ wide x by the whole length of the box. You can trim off any extra length later.
Step 4. Place your 4×7″ rectangle inside a diaper.

Step 5. Fold the diaper back into shape and insert it at the front of the diaper stack. This is the headboard for the bassinet.
Step 6. Open another diaper up completely and insert your long strip of cardboard.
Step 7. If the cardboard hangs over the end of the diaper, trim off any excess. I trimmed the blue section in the photo below.
Step 8. Tuck the diaper into the rubber band on each side. This is the canopy of the bassinet.
Step 9. Now it is time to embellish! Fold up your burp cloth/wash cloth for the bassinet bedding. I rolled one end up to make a “pillow.”
Step 10. Tuck your ric rac/ribbon into the rubber band and lay it across the top of the bassinet. Tuck the ric rac into the opposite side of the bassinet and cut any excess. Wrap the ric rac around the bassinet to cover the rubber band. I secured the ric rac with clear tape at the back.

Now you are done! I didn’t get too frilly with this boy bassinet, but you could go all out if you wanted too.
I hope you enjoy and please let me know if you have any questions!

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestEmailYummlyStumbleUpon

Comments

1. says

That is so cute. I made a three tier diaper cake for a friends baby shower and this would have been cute to make and put on some of the other tables. Great tutorial!

2. says

What an awesome idea! I am going to put this on my project list to make the next time I am invited to a baby shower.

Thanks for sharing the tutorial with us:)

3. says

Just, and I mean just, finished one a few minutes ago. One tip, the 4×7 peice of cardboard needs to be adjusted depending on the size of the diaper. I used size ones and had to cut it down to at least 3×6 (I didn’t measure after I started trimming).

4. says

Just found this via Pininterest….have shared it on my Facebook wall….such a great idea, I love how it’s different from a diaper cake….thank you so much for sharing the tutorial with us all. Hugs Naomi

5. says

This is so cute! I wanted to make one of these for my older sister when she had her first earlier this year but had no idea where to start. Now that I know what to do, I’m ready for her to have another baby! šŸ˜‰

6. says

This is really cute! I love it! Usually you see diaper cakes but I think that this in my first bassinet! I’m definitely pinning this for the next friend that has a baby! Thanks for the tutorial!

7. says

I am very happy to read your articles it’s very useful for me,
    and I am completely satisfied with your website.
    All comments and articles are very useful and very good.
    Your blog is very attention-grabbing. I am loving all of the in.
    turn you are sharing with each one!….

8. says

This is a great article. I’ve read in many
    other places before that but
    I did not get this type of effective and
    more useful text. It is really important now to
    vary your anchors as this seems more natural to user.
    This article helped me a lot to understand information.

9. Ivette says

Thanks so much for your easy to follow instructions! I am hosting a baby shower and am in charge of decorations, this will be a hit!