I know that you won’t have ham leftovers until next week but I just had to share this recipe so you can be prepared when the leftovers are piling up. Another great option is if you are baking potatoes, cook a few extra and make this soup the next night.
Baked Potato and Ham Soup
¼ c. butter
¼ c. flour
14 oz can chicken broth
1 can evaporated milk
3 large or 4 med. Baked potatoes cut into cubes
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder or to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
1-2 cups ham chunks
Grated cheese (optional)
- Melt the butter in medium saucepan. Whisk in flour and you should get a thick paste.
- Add chicken broth, milk, and garlic powder. (We are big garlic lovers so I like to add a LOT)
- Mash the pulp from one of the potatoes and whisk into the soup.
- Bring to a boil and gently add the cubed potatoes and cubed ham.
- Sprinkle cheese on the top of the soup when serving.
We love this soup. Whenever we have a ham, we make sure to freezer the leftovers for this soup. Sometimes I will even buy a ham steak if we don’t have any leftovers in the freezer. Try it, I don’t think you will be sorry.