Like many other moms out there, I have been known to use dessert to "encourage" my kids to eat their dinner. My six year old is incredibly picky and his favorite dessert, Orange Pineapple Fluff, works wonders to get him to try new foods.
We have been using COOL WHIP Whipped Topping as long as I can remember to make our everyday treats more special. It has been a staple in my freezer since the day I got married. The husband's favorite way to enjoy COOL WHIP is to put a big dollop on a slice of pumpkin pie. I think it might be his perfect food combination.
Pies are a little bit more of a special occasion food though, so today I am excited to share with you one of my family's favorite everyday desserts. Of course, it includes COOL WHIP Whipped Topping.
Orange Pineapple Fluff
- 12 ounces COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed
- 6 oz orange gelatin powder
- 1 large can crushed pineapple
- 8 oz small curd cottage cheese
- 2 small cans mandarin oranges
- Drain the pineapple and oranges well. I like to squeeze the crushed pineapple a bit to get even more juice out.
- Pour the gelatin powder over the cottage cheese and stir well
- Mix in the pineapple and oranges
- Fold in the COOL WHIP Whipped Topping
- Refrigerate until well chilled and serve
Look how happy my son is with his dessert!
I have one more reason for you to incorporate this everyday dessert into your family dinner time. Did you know that cottage cheese is a great source of protein? How many desserts can say that? My little "starch-itarian" can use all the help he can get in the protein department. I almost feel a little sneaky sometimes. The kids know they are getting their favorite dessert with COOL WHIP and I know they are getting protein and fruit. Score one for mom!
What do you serve your family for an everyday dessert? I would love to add some new recipes to the mix.