Spoiler alert: This post is about how I lost 32.5 lbs in six weeks. If you are curious about some more details, you can keep on reading. :)
Here's a brief history of me:
- I've struggled with my weight my entire life. I feel like it really went downhill when I was diagnosed with asthma as a child and that limited my activity.
- Around the age of 19-20 I decided it was time to really dedicate myself to losing weight and I lost 80 lbs. Yay!
- When I turned 21 I moved out on my own and pretty much from that day forward I have been gaining weight. The 80 lbs I lost, plus a lot more.
- Off and on over the years, I have tried diet and exercise maybe losing 10-15 lbs here and there but never sticking with it long enough to get the real results.
I get asked a lot what my secret is, so here is what I have been doing differently:
- No soda - I drink only water and on a rare occasion I will add some Crystal Light
- No eating out - I used to eat out all the time.
- Meal plan - This is essential to not eating out. At this point I'm only planning about 1 week out, but it has helped tremendously. Include a plan for lunch, it's easier to avoid the drive through when you have a set plan.
- Try to make one meal a day a salad. Sometimes it has a protein on it sometimes it doesn't.
- Smaller portions - I was a total over eater, so I'm doing my best to reign that in.
- Exercise - There is a park with a lake near my sons school. There are lots of hills. I walk nearly everyday for 40 minutes. A good deal of the time, I am pushing my daughter in a stroller which adds to the intensity.
- Don't eat until you are full. I don't think I have been 'full' one time in the last 6 weeks. It feels better than feeling weighted down and blah because you ate too much.
- Every night my "dessert" is a cup of ice water with store bought crushed ice. I love chewing ice and it keeps my mouth busy while the husband and I watch TV in the evenings.
I'm sure there are more things but those are the main ones that come to mind right now. So that's where I am at now. I know I have a long way to go still, but I am really happy that I started. Maybe one day I will even get really brave and post some pictures. :)