You can purchase Elmer's Painters one marker at a time for only $1.97 each at Walmart. Perfect for when you just need one specific color, you don't need to buy a whole pack anymore. Look for a display like this in the craft aisle of your local Walmart.
Okay, let's get crafting. When I was trying to think of some fun projects to use my Elmer's Single Painters on, I knew I wanted it to be a Father's Day gift AND something that kids could make. I called on my good friend Vanessa for help, and she had just the project in mind. One of the reasons I love the Elmer's Painters is because they are so kid friendly. They get to paint, but it's much more like using a marker which they are used to. It cut down on so much mess.
- A reel of some kind. My friend Vanessa is handy with power tools so she cut out some reels and fish for us. You could use a thick dowel for the reel instead, with no problem.
- A wooden or paper fish. The Elmer's Painters would work great on some card stock too. The fish needs two holes, one for the eye, and one to attach your wire to.
- A trendy tube/long plastic tube for Dad's favorite treats. Here is an online resource for the tubes or you can check local craft/scrapbook stores too.
- Elmer's Single Painters in a variety of colors
- Craft wire to act as your fishing line
Step 2: Paint your fish and reel. We let the kids pick the colors they wanted and the went to town with the foam brushes.
Step 3. Let the pieces dry completely and then decorate with Elmer's Painters. The kids got the biggest kick out of this. I had my daughter decorate one side of the fish. Then on the other side I wrote, "You're a 'REEL-Y' awesome Dad."
Step 4. Poke a hole in the lid of your tube with a nail and secure your craft wire. This picture is the underside of the lid. You can see the wire coming through the lid. Then the wire is wrapped around the lid a few times.
Step 5. Fill your tube with candy. We used Swedish Fish, but M&M's fit great too. Really any candy that fits in the tubes will work. Hot glue the tube into your reel. Attach your fish to the other end of the wire.
My daughter had so much fun making these. We are going to make them for the Grandfather's too! No play date is complete without some delicious snacks. I picked up all the snacks at Walmart too.
Thanks to Vanessa for playing and crafting with us. It was a lot of fun.
For information about all of Elmer's products you can check out their website: www.Elmers.com, Facebook: www.facebook.com/elmers , or Twitter: www.twitter.com/elmers.
I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™. #CBias #SocialFabric