They look pretty and I love how your food is in an edible container. They were a huge hit at the party. Everyone was raving over them. I originally saw the idea on Martha Stewart's website. However she was a little sparse on details so I just had to look at the picture and go for it.
I thought I would write up a quick how-to for you so you can make them too.
10 oz Baguettes - I had regular and sesame.
Dips of your choice - I went with all store bought this time
Assorted Veggies slices thin - I used Carrots, Peas, and Red Peppers
- Slice the end off the baguette and eat or discard. Slice the baguette so that one side has a slight angle. I was able to get 14 slices out of each 10 oz baguette.
- Gently smoosh down the bread on the end with the incline. This gives you some extra room for dip and vegetables.
- Add some dip and press in 4-6 pieces of veggies depending on the size of the baguette and how thinly you sliced your veggies.
1. These need to be assembled right before serving. If the dip sits in the cups for a long time it starts to look, well old. The hummus especially was starting to look dried out or something after 2 hours.
2. You can prep the veggies and bread the day before. I cut all the baguettes and kept them in air tight bags overnight. The crust was a little less "crusty," but the shower was at 10am and I didn't have time to do everything in the morning.
3. The ranch and carrots was the most popular combination. I personally loved the red pepper and hummus.
The whole shower had a really cute theme, you can see all about it here: http://www.cuteasafox.com/2012/06/newspaper-themed-bridal-shower.html