A few weeks ago I found some adorable Monster face sandwich bags in the Target Dollar Spot. I snatched them up and knew I had to come up with something fun to put inside. I was stumped for a bit until the husband mentioned popcorn, and I remembered I had been wanting to try this popcorn recipe from Our Best Bites. That, my friends, is how Monster Popcorn was born.
Every time I see them, I just laugh. They are so colorful and cute. Here is the recipe for the colored jello popcorn.
Candied Jello Popcorn
- 8 cups popped popcorn - approximately 1 bag of popped microwave popcorn
- 3 Tbsp Light Corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 3 oz box of Jell-o - NOT sugar free
- 1/2 cup sugar
Directions1. In a saucepan, stir to combine the butter and corn syrup over medium heat. Once the butter is completely melted, add in the Jell-o powder and 1/2 cup sugar. Stir well to combine.
2. Turn the heat up slightly and bring the mixture to a boil. Turn to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Immediately pour the jello syrup over the popcorn in a large mixing bowl. Stir to coat the popcorn.
4. Turn the popcorn onto a cookie sheet cover in parchment paper. With your stirring spoon, smooth into a single layer or popcorn.
5. Bake in a preheated 300 degree oven for 10 minutes.
6. Allow the popcorn to cool until it reaches room temperature.
7. Break into bite size pieces and enjoy!
I actually made 6 different flavors of Jello popcorn. I labeled each one in the picture, so you could see the color it turned out. Grape and watermelon were disappointing color-wise. I was hoping for a little more vibrant colors. However, watermelon was my favorite in the taste department. It tasted just like a jolly rancher.
For my photo shoot, I kept each monster bag to one flavor, however I thought it would be fun to mix them all up for the snack. Plus, that way the kids can't fight over colors. Everybody gets some of everything.
Here our the multi-color monsters all ready for preschool tomorrow!
I hope you and your 'little monsters' enjoy!