Today I am sharing this delicious recipe for tortilla soup. My friend Kelli, made this years ago and I just had to have the recipe. Please don't be intimidated by the number of ingredients. It is 100% worth it!
- 2 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 large(28 oz) and 1 small(14.5 oz) can tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 onion, quartered
- 6 cups chicken stock
- ½ bunch of cilantro, rinsed well
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and chopped (I substituted with a jalapeno because my grocery store was out)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups chicken, cooked and cubed
- Place tortillas, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, garlic and Serrano pepper in a food processor and blend into mush.
- Heat oil in a stockpot over medium high heat and add mush from step 1 and cumin. Cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Pour in stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in beans and chicken and cook until they are warmed through.
- Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with any or all of the following: diced avocados, grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, cilantro, or chopped tortilla chips