Throw your own color fight

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestEmail

Here we are over two weeks into 2013, and I still feel like I’m trying to settle into the new year. Way back when, I showed you the invitations for my children’s color party. Well I had a big crazy idea to have a color powder fight. I am so excited to tell you that it was so much fun! You don’t have to take my word for it, look at the joy on those girls faces.

I have been seeing things like Color Runs and the festival of Holi become more and more popular in recent years. I thought it would be so much fun to throw a color fight of my own. Thankfully my husband is always up for my crazy ideas! After a lot of googling, I realized there aren’t that many resources out there for doing this, so hopefully this will be helpful for anyone else looking to do the same thing.

First I’ll tell you how to make the powder, then I’ll take about the actual fight.

Color Powder Recipe

Supplies:

1 lb Non-toxic Tempera Paint Powder –  I liked the Colorations brand the best. Hobby Lobby carries one brand, but that is the only store that I found that had the powder in the store.
1 lb Corn Starch – Walmart has 1 lb of corn starch for $0.97
Food processor

Keep Reading:  Color Powder Directions on Page 2

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestEmail

Comments

1. says

I think I might have to organize this as a play group activity when it gets warmer here (or maybe I’ll just steal it for my boys’ July birthday)!

2. says

that looks like a REALLY fun way to play and get colored / dirty–you should think about marketing that! or opening a party place that has this as an option!! good luck

3. says

Was this done at a local park or at your home? I’m just wondering if I would be able to do this at the park without getting in trouble lol. I bet my son’s Kindergarten class would absolutely love this!

• says

Great question! We did it in a local park. The mess was actually pretty minimal. That was one of the reasons for the rules about staying in the designated area. I wasn’t too worried about the grass. You can see in the some of the pictures, there is a ring of color around the containers we had on the ground. That was really the only mess you could see when we were all done and picked up.

4. says

Thank you so much for the “color” recipe! I was thinking about doing a color run as a fundraiser and was wondering how. Did the powder wash away after it rained? And do you think it would stain pavement?

• Kathleen says

We were thinking of doing a charity 5k too, just worrying about color run and color me rad copyrights. Did you plan yours yet? Ashley, thanks o much for sharing this great recipe for fun!

5. Anonymous says

How many bottles of Tempera Paint powder did you buy? And how many people participated? Thanks so much!!

• says

I bought 12 lbs of the paint powder and we had about 20 people
      participating, most of them children. We had more than enough paint powder to go around.

6. Anonymous says

Great idea for kids!!! Thanks for the recipe!!! At our color run last month, they used leaf blowers to get the excess powder off everyone. Another tip is to use lotion on skin before getting colored…makes it wash off even easier.

7. Anonymous says

I am just wondering what is the purpose of the cornstarch? Is it just to make the paint go farther? And when I looked up Colorations Tempera Paint powder it said it was not fully washable from skin or fabric. I do not care about the fabric but didn’t it stain your kids skin? I really want to do this with my nieces and nephews but do not want a bunch of parents angry with me for staining their kids.

• says

Yes, the cornstarch makes the paint go farther. We came home and took a bath right away and there were no long term stains from the paint. Make sure you let the parents know ahead of time what you are planning, with a thorough explanation, and I bet they will be understanding.

8. Anonymous says

I would also would like to know how much paint was used per the number of participants. We will be doing this for my son’s birthday in a few weeks. Thanks!

• says

I bought 12 lbs of the paint powder and we had about 20 people

9. Anonymous says

I’m actually turning 16th this month and thought this was the coolest idea ever for a huge party! I am definitely doing this, Thank you : )

10. says

what an awesome idea! thanks so much for the paint recipe. oh and I find it very ironic that you bring all the paint and supplies for this very messy party in an All detergent box, lol

11. Cassy says

Hi! I was just wondering where you got the paint powder. They don’t carry it at Walmart or Target (where I live, anyway).

• says

I purchased the powder from Hobby Lobby and the Colorations brand was purchased online. Thanks for the question, I can’t believe I didn’t put that in the post.

12. says

From what I can tell, a lot of the colors look pastel… Are those just the colors you chose to use or did something happen to make them that way? I’m 16 and my friends and I are looking to try this with bright colors

• says

Hi Laura,
      Unless you buy Holi colors you aren’t going to get the bright colors like you see in the Color Run and other similar events. You can find those on Amazon as well: http://bit.ly/holi-colors
      I have never used or purchased them though, so I can’t speak to how they work.

13. says

Hi!
    If you could answer this ASAP that would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
    I’m on student council and I suggested this idea for an event and people loved it. If we were to do this event, we would have to do it on the grassy sportsfield. The only problem is that they are afraid that the colored corn starch will be hard to clean off the grass. So I was just wondering if you had a problem washing to corn starch off the grass. Please email adwyer@sacredheartma.com or amdwyer97@aol.com.
    Thank you so much!!!
    Avery

14. says

Loved this idea and will be using it with my youth group this week…just curious do you think cornstarch and food coloring would work just as well without having to get the powdered paint stuff?

15. says

HOBBY LOBBY NO LONGER CARRIES THE PAINT POWDER! UGGG I SEARCHED EVERYWHERE I FOUND IT FINALLY AT A TEACHER SUPPLY STORE CALLED UTAH-IDAHO SUPPY! 3.89 for a 1lb bottle!

16. says

hello everyone,
    if you are reading this comment then please google HOLI…pronounced “holy”…!
    it’s a request…for more details see wikipedia results…
    (an INDIAN)

17. says

Hi, if you Want to make these colors at home, natural, good for skin and with some medicinal properties, then visit this link http://hinduism.about.com/od/holifestivalofcolors/a/naturalholi_2.htm . believe me, this is safe, colorful and is also good for the skin, every different color has a different good effect effect on the skin…. some make it glow, some make it smooth….
    so now, you can have fun as well as health…
    and a very good fact thing that these colors are made from FLOWERS…