I decided to turn my PEEPS® into some hot chocolate stir-straws. This is perfect for a neighbor gift. It is very easy to put together, but it looks homemade and like you've put a lot into it. The homemade hot chocolate is very delicious. I think I'll skip buying those little packets in the future.
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix with PEEPS® Stir StrawsYields: 45 servings of hot chocolate
Ingredients:• 10 cups dry milk powder
• 4 ¾ cups powdered sugar, sifted
• 1 ¾ cups cocoa powder
• 1 ¾ cups powdered non-dairy creamer
• Holiday PEEPS® of your choice
• Paper Straws
• 3” x 2” cellophane bags
Directions:Hot Chocolate Mix:
1. In a large bowl, mix together the milk powder, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and non-dairy creamer. Combine until the mixture is homogeneous.
2. Store in an air tight container.
PEEPS® Stir Straws:
1. Dip a sharp knife in hot water and gently separate the holiday PEEPS®.
2. Dip the cut ends of the PEEPS® in granulated sugar or brown sugar to un-sticky the cut edges.
3. Gently insert a hot knife into the top, center of each PEEPS® candy.
4. Remove the knife and insert the paper straw.
5. For gift giving or storage, place each PEEPS® straw in a 3” x 2” cellophane bag and secure with a twist tie.
To make a cup of hot chocolate, combine 1/3 cup hot chocolate mix and ¾ cup boiling water. Add one PEEPS® Stir Straws and enjoy your flavored hot chocolate.
Here you can see them all packaged up and ready to be delivered. If you seal the bags well, the peeps will last for several weeks without getting hard.
This is also a really fun snack to eat. I dare you to dip a Gingerbread man or Mouse in hot chocolate and not do some pretend play. It's pretty impossible. Hot tub party for one!
What flavor of PEEPS® would you use for your stir straws? I think the Peppermint stars were my favorite. Although I love anything peppermint. Sound off in the comments!