I’m so excited to be participating in the 24 days of PEEPSonality this year. Over on the PEEPS® facebook page you can see a fun idea for holiday crafting with PEEPS®. I got a fun package in the mail full of PEEPS® to plan my project.
I decided to turn my PEEPS® into some hot chocolate stir-straws. This is perfect for a neighbor gift. It is very easy to put together, but it looks homemade and like you’ve put a lot into it. The homemade hot chocolate is very delicious. I think I’ll skip buying those little packets in the future.
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix with PEEPS® Stir Straws
Yields: 45 servings of hot chocolate
• 10 cups dry milk powder
• 4 ¾ cups powdered sugar, sifted
• 1 ¾ cups cocoa powder
• 1 ¾ cups powdered non-dairy creamer
• Holiday PEEPS® of your choice
• Paper Straws
• 3” x 2” cellophane bags
Hot Chocolate Mix:
1. In a large bowl, mix together the milk powder, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and non-dairy creamer. Combine until the mixture is homogeneous.
2. Store in an air tight container.
PEEPS® Stir Straws:
1. Dip a sharp knife in hot water and gently separate the holiday PEEPS®.
2. Dip the cut ends of the PEEPS® in granulated sugar or brown sugar to un-sticky the cut edges.
3. Gently insert a hot knife into the top, center of each PEEPS® candy.
4. Remove the knife and insert the paper straw.
5. For gift giving or storage, place each PEEPS® straw in a 3” x 2” cellophane bag and secure with a twist tie.
To make a cup of hot chocolate, combine 1/3 cup hot chocolate mix and ¾ cup boiling water. Add one PEEPS® Stir Straws and enjoy your flavored hot chocolate.
Even my biggest critic loved it! She’s almost six years old and she is a straight shooter. If she doesn’t like something, she will let you know.
What flavor of PEEPS® would you use for your stir straws? I think the Peppermint stars were my favorite. Although I love anything peppermint. Sound off in the comments!