I am so excited that Inside Out hits theaters today! I was able to go see a complimentary media screening and my entire family just loved it.
The whole movie is about getting a look inside the head of a girl named Riley. The main characters are the 5 main emotions: Joy, Sadness, Anger, Disgust, and Fear. Each character is hilarious in their own right and the whole movie is great for teaching emotional awareness. Kids of all ages and their parents are really going to love Inside Out.
In honor of the movie, I have teamed up with some awesome bloggers to create an Inside Out themed progressive dinner. Each dish is inspired by an emotion from the movie. It was so much fun to collaborate and I really think you are going to love the results!
My job was to come up with a side dish inspired by Fear. After a lot of brain storming, I remembered purple potatoes. It works on a few levels because they are purple, and also because you might be afraid to try them if you’ve never had them before! Unlike red potatoes, which just have a red skin, purple potatoes are purple all the way through!
It seemed like a waste to cover up the pretty color with a mayo based salad, so I made an Italian Potato salad. It is so delicious! Purple potatoes taste exactly the same as a regular potato, it just looks a little different. Whether you use purple, red, or any other kind of potato, I think you will love this salad.
- 3 lbs purple potatoes
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 to 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 10 oz grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Scrub the potatoes clean with a product brush and chop.
- Place the potatoes in a sauce pan and cover with cold water. Turn the heat on high and bring the water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and cover with a lid. Cook the potatoes in gently boiling water until fork tender, about 12-15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic, red onion, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the potatoes. Add the cucumber and tomatoes. Gently fold all the ingredients together. Refrigerator until cold and ready to serve.
Now that you’ve got a delicious side dish covered, head on over and visit all the other bloggers for their recipes too!
Appetizer: Baked Blueberry Brie – Made with Happy
Soup: Broccoli Cheese Soup – See Vanessa Craft
Side: Purple Potato Salad – Cute as a Fox
Main Dish: Fire-Roasted Stuffed Peppers – Mom Endeavors
Dessert: Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Cups – Picky Palate
I can’t wait to try out everyone’s recipes! I think I might be able to get my kids to eat broccoli cheese soup if it’s from Inside Out! Take the family out to see Inside Out and then come home for a fun themed dinner! Sounds like a great family date to me.