Jungle Vine Pasta with Man’s Red Flower aka (Pesto Spaghetti with Tomato Flower)
I have personally found with my picky eater that he was very resistant to trying pesto. It is green after all, and that seems to be the color of food he must avoid at all costs! I love basil pesto so I’m really trying to recruit the whole family over to my side. Tossing spaghetti in pesto sauce and calling it jungle vines is a great introduction to pesto for kids! Mowgli uses lots of vines to swing all around in the movie so it’s a great tie-in!
- 1 lb spaghetti
- ¾ cup basil pesto, store-bought or your favorite recipe
- 1 Roma tomato, 1 tomato makes 2 flowers
- shaved Parmesan, optional
- Basil or spinach leaves
- Prepare spaghetti according to package instructions.
- Drain spaghetti and toss with pesto sauce.
- Carve each tomato into lotus flowers using the technique video on page 3.
- Garnish each plate of pesto spaghetti with 2 basil or spinach leave and a tomato lotus flower.
- Sprinkle with shaved Parmesan if desired.
So let’s talk about that tomato flower. I’ve always really admired those amazing fruit and vegetable carvings that I had seen. I thought it was totally outside of my skillset. Turns out, it doesn’t have to be so hard. Jump over to page 3 to see a great how-to video on how to turn tomatoes into lotus flowers!