A few weeks ago I wrote about how I got hacked and how I’m using F-Secure Safe to protect myself. Well, I’m back for a little update. This partnership with F-Secure could not have come at a better time for me personally. I’ve pretty much become convinced my data must have been compromised because of all the weird and frustrating things that are continuing to happen.
In just the last week, I got an email from Amazon confirming a purchase I didn’t make. That was a weird one where my account security wasn’t actually compromised but it took several hours and numerous chats and phone calls with Amazon to sort out. Then this morning I got an email that there was suspicious login activity on my Netflix account. Were they going to mess up my queue or something? Maybe they thought my credit card info would be stored there. Frankly, I don’t get it. Add that to another account getting hacked and unauthorized purchases being made and the emails I’m suddenly getting for the Credit Union account that I didn’t open. It’s been a trying few weeks and I’m getting a little paranoid.
Here’s how I have been able to use F-Secure Safe to help me stay protected from the hackers and thieves that have clearly painted a target on my back.
- Virus Protection. I was really starting to wonder if I had some key logger or virus on my computer that was giving someone access. Thankfully, I seem to be okay on that front. I was using a free version of a virus scanner before but I love having F-Secure Safe handle all the aspects of my online security. I like how easy it is to use too. You can bulk delete, or opt to do nothing.
- Browser and Banking protection. I’ve seen some really sophisticated phishing schemes. The bad guys can make their fake site look just like the real thing. Click on a bad email link and suddenly you are giving your banking info away. F-Secure SAFE lets you know when you enter a safe banking site and secures the connection to the site. The browser protection keeps you from sites that spread malware or collect your personal data.
- Parental controls. We’re working hard on setting limits for screen time this summer. The kids are so busy during the school year that it’s just not as big of an issue. However now that they’re home all day they want to be on that computer or tablet. I can block certain websites, content, and set time limits for each device. The kids can’t argue with a timer right?
- Track your devices. Just log in to your F-Secure Safe account and see where all your connected devices are. We’re Android users so I especially love that I can lock my phone or delete all my information remotely. This would have been especially handy for that time I accidently left my phone on the top of the car and it went flying off. Thanks to a really sturdy phone case the phone was in perfect working order. I got lucky and a good Samaritan picked it up and made a great deal of effort to return it to me. I know lots of folks that haven’t been that lucky. You can replace your phone but all the personal information is a treasure trove for nefarious characters.
- Network protection. F-Secure Safe runs in the background and checks if the network you are connecting to has a safe configuration. It checks for each network you connect to. Ever hit “connect automatically” or “save network.” If some bad guy gets tricky and names their fake network “Starbucks Guest” your phone or laptop may auto connect a bad network. Not with F-Secure Safe.
I can not tell you how much I love that F-Secure Safe bundles all of these features together. You can find different software to do each thing individually but then you have no idea where they overlap or where they have holes. Different products can even conflict with each other leaving you vulnerable. F-Secure Safe is the total package.
In honor of Father’s Day, F-Secure Safe created this great Father’s Day video. It’s such a sweet tribute to Father’s. Give it a quick watch.
F-Secure Safe is offering a no-hassle 4-month Free trial! Four months! The hassle free part means you don’t have to provide your credit card information. They aren’t going to charge you if you forget to cancel. I do think that if you forget to renew, though, you’ll definitely miss that protection when your trial is up! Head on over and start your free trial. Don’t forget, we’re giving away a new Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. You can head over to my giveaway post to enter to win. The giveaway ends on June 4, so hurry over!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by F-Secure SAFE as part of a Whynotmom.com AllStar campaign. All opinions expressed are my own.