No-Sew Ribbon Rosette Tutorial

Cute as a FoxThe other day I sat down to make a ribbon rosette and discovered my ribbon was wired. I thought I was done for, but as I started playing around I figured out I could make a no-sew rosette. Yippee!

NOTE: Click on any of the pictures to enlarge them.

Here is what you need:
Cute as a Fox
  • Wired edge ribbon – 1/2 inch to 1 inch will probably work best
  • Felt – enough to get two, 2″ circles
  • Scissors
  • Glue gun and glue
Here’s what you do:
Step 1: Cut out two, 2″ circles. I traced an old spool of ribbon.
Cute as a Fox
Step 2: Cut about 5 feet of ribbon. You will probably end up with extra, but I’m always paranoid I will run short. On one end, pull out a little bit of the wire and fold it over. This will keep the wire from pulling through the ribbon when you start to gather it.
Step 3: On the other end of the ribbon start pulling on the bottom wire. IMPORTANT: Make SURE the side of ribbon you kinked back in step 2, is the same side you’re pulling on here. If you start pulling on both sides(I.E. the top and the bottom), things get crazy later on.
Gather the whole ribbon by pulling the wire one direction and the ribbon the other direction. You can “push” the gathered part farther down the ribbon and that is how the gather gets all the way through the ribbon.
Step 4: Fold the end of the ribbon down so that the raw edge of the ribbon is down.
Step 5: Glue the ribbon down on the edge of your felt. Glue the ribbon around the outside of the whole circle. Going about an inch at a time. As you go, you can either gather the ribbon more to add extra ruffle or pull it out, if the gather is too tight.
Step 6: Continue gluing around the circle in a spiral pattern.
Step 7: When you reach the center of the flower, cut off about 2 inches so you can make the center of the flower.
Step 8: Fold the raw edge down, same as you did at the beginning of a flower. Put the raw edge down and “squish” the rest down. Not too specific I know, but good news is that almost anything looks good. The other good thing is that the wire in the ribbon will keep it in place so you can play with it until you like it. After you get it all set, lift it up slightly and put a dab of glue underneath to keep it all in place.
Step 9: You can stop there or continue on to make the headband. I used a metal headband, some 1/8″ ribbon and the rosette.
Step 10: Heat seal or fray check the end of the ribbon and glue the ribbon on small sections at a time.
Step 11: Figure out where you want the rosette placed on the headband and glue it on. I didn’t get a picture of the next step, but you glue on the second felt circle to keep the rosette in place.
Voila! You are done. You might be able to get one done in the time it takes you to read the tutorial. These are super fast and easy.

I did a small variation and did three rosettes. I love it with the yellow pleated ribbon.
I’ve got good news! I’m selling all of the headbands featured throughout this tutorial. Come on over to Cute as a Fox on Etsy and check them out.

Please, please, please, let me know if you have any questions or need clarification. I’d love to help!
This tutorial is for personal use only, please. Thanks!

1. says

I’m so excited to make these! Also you can very easily pull out the wire and make any wired ribbon wireless! I have the same pink ribbon and pull out the wire to make bows!

2. says

Oh how wonderful.

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday. Please join me next week for another wonderful party!!

Please stop by next week I am having guest over each day and I would love for you to tell them HI!

3. says

These are SO cute! I love rosettes! I never thought to bunch up the fabric to make it “ruffly.” I’ll have to try that. Thanks so much for posting this on Favorite Things Friday!

4. says

Awe – so sweet! Thanks so much for planting your creative seed at Plant a Punkin Seed Party at Punkin Seed Productions! Come plant more on Friday and see “hoo” won the owl!

Punkin Seed Productions

5. says

That is soo dang cute!I love how much volume you can get with all the layering. Filing this at

Thanks so much for sharing!

6. says

These are very cute! I just bought a ton of ribbon…now I am going to have to look for ribbon with wire! haha…I’ve got to try this! Thanks for sharing =)

7. says

This is adorable! I’ve been searching for tutorials for rosettes online so I can list all of the wonderful instructions in one place on my blog for my followers. Just going to add yours right now! Too precious!
    Thank you so much for sharing your technique!

8. says

I know I’m finding this tutorial about a year after everyone else, but I’m really glad that I found it at all! I’m watching my BFF’s 2-year-old tomorrow, so I’m going to make one right now for the sweet little girl! Thanks!

9. says

This is so cute, my daughter loves these headbands I have to sit there and break out the needle and thread I never thought to use the wired ribbon. Gunna head down stairs now and make some thank you.

10. says

Hi Ashely,

I found your ribbon flower tutorial and had to share it on my new blog. I made sure to link back to you here. Thanks for the great tutorial

11. Anonymous says

Looks simple and fun to make. I’m having my 1st grandaughter in May. These would also work well on those stretchy headbands babies are wearing these days, or on a tutu for an embellishment. Thank you for sharing.

12. says

I make this all the time, but I’ve never used your method! I usually roll them up and hot glue, which results in lots of burned and unhappy fingers! Thanks for the tutorial, I’ll have to give your way a try next time. :-)